Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Morning Crêpes with Blueberry Sauce

For the past couple of weeks I've really been dying to have crêpes. However the last time I'd had some was when I was being babysat by my cousin at the tender age of ten.. so yeah, I guess it's been a while, and they were definitely not vegan. I suppose I wasn't searching too hard for any vegan crêpe recipes, actually I wasn't searching at all, I figure the less I make sweet goodies like this, vegan or not, well the less I have to hit the gym. But lone and behold as I was reading through my newest favorite cookbook "Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook by Kim Barnouin" I came across a very deliciously sounding vegan crêpe recipe and I decided it was fate.
I did change it up a bit using blueberries and actually reducing them on a stove top (Oh My Goodness..Heavenly). Here is her recipe that I followed and added my own quirks to:

"Serves Six
Ingredients:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. evaporated cane sugar,
  plus 1/2 cup.
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup almond milk 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance"
(and here is where things change up)
1 cup fresh blueberries 
1/4 cup water

"In medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and the salt. Whisk in the milk and the vanilla extract until smooth.
"Heat the Earth Balance in a skillet over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter mix into the skillet, swirling to coat the bottom of the skillet as evenly as possible with the batter. Cook until the edges are lightly browned and the crêpe is almost dry on the top. Loosen the edges with a thin spatula and flip the crêpe over with your fingers. Cook crêpe an additional 15 seconds. Transfer to a plate and continue cooking remaining batter."


Now at the time you are mixing the batter you can take a moment to toss the blueberries, remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and the water into a blender. (I used the Magic Bullet, because it's so easy and fun) After the mixture is blended well pour into a small sauce pan on medium heat and let simmer until you've completed all of your crêpes (about 10 minutes). The blueberry sauce will slightly reduce and be nice and warm to pour onto your freshly cooked crêpe, ready for you to mangia!



The recipe calls for Evaporated Cane Sugar, which is actually really awesomely vegan and better for you. Unfortunately I didn't have any so I used regular granulated sugar, and wanted to mention that incase you end up in the same boat. It is still doable.

These are a few of my favorite things:
I switched over to almond milk rather than soy over a year or so ago. Since I eat quite a bit of soy products I wanted to lessen up and try something new with my milk. I love Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened, I use it in cooking, I use it in cereal, It's a perfect alternative or almost anything that calls for milk! What's also so great about almond milk is that is is lactose, dairy, casein, gluten, and cholesterol free with much less saturated fat than cow's milk. It is chalk full of vitamins and a great source of calcium and vitamin D. 

Butter Alternative- Earth Balance Soy Free. 
I believe I've mentioned or at least used the soy free version of Earth Balance once before, but you don't even know how much this is changed my life! Well at least my cooking :) It tastes the closest I've yet tasted to actual butter, it rich and creamy with no trans fat, no cholesterol and excellent source of Omega-3's. Spread alone on toast or use in cooking and baking and you wont be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment