Sunday, March 27, 2011

Coconut Lime Tofu

I am not ashamed to admit that cooking tofu kind of scares me. The only way I really cooked it for a long time was by frying it in oil with my favorite seasonings and putting it in a sandwitch with tons of veggies, so the taste of the tofu was never showcased. I started to reduce my use of oil a while back so that meant I stopped my fried tofu thing I had going.
But lately, a desire to learn how to prepare a delicious plate of tofu developed. I stumbled across a recipe in the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook today called coconut lime tofu. I just had cooked a curry cauliflour soup (see below) earlier today so I decided it was fate because I had the perfect amount of coconut milk left! So my journey to bake a tasty tofu plate began. And guess what?? It worked! I absolutely loved the outcome. The tofu tastes great with rice mixed with the soup from earlier. Below is the recipe I used to bake the tofu, it differs from Vegan Yum Yum's recipe but it still tastes great:)

Ingredients
  • 1/3 coconut milk
  • 1 tsp stevia (or sugar)
  • 1 tsp lime juice
  • 1/8 c soy sauce
  • 8 oz firm tofu (drained and pressed)
  • Japenese style break crumbs (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 450
Cut tofu into 8 equal sizes pieces and place in a baking dish. Make sure not have any of the tofu pieces overlapping
Blend the coconut milk, stevia, lime juice, and soy sauce. Once blended, pour over tofu pieces.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Take baking dish out of oven and flip each piece over. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top of each piece (this will just adds a little crunchiness)
Put the dish back in the oven and leave in for 15 minutes.
The dish will be ready soon after, just let it cool so you dont burn your tastebuds!


No comments:

Post a Comment